Commission calls for code to protect whistleblowers

first_imgThe Whistleblowing Commission is calling for a simplification of the Public Interest Disclosure Act.The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) should force firms to adopt a code to protect whistleblowers, a retired senior judge has said.Former Court of Appeal judge Anthony Hooper told the Gazette that the SRA should ensure that firms adopt the code recommended in the commission’s report, published this week. Among other recommendations the report commission calls for changes to the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013 to extend whistleblowing protection to partners.Speaking to the Gazette at the commission event, Hooper said it was incumbent on the regulator to support individuals exposing wrongdoing, and that the code would help tackle issues of fraud and bribery.‘It’s essential as you will be able to see things like churning, where firms bill for work that isn’t done,’ he said. ‘The SRA could require law firms of a certain size to have such procedures in place,’ he said. The code calls for the simplification of the Public Interest Disclosure Act, which was introduced 15 years ago to provide a remedy for workers dismissed for whistleblowing. Other recommendations in the report include:Regulators to be more transparent about their own whistleblowing arrangements;Specific provisions against the blacklisting of whistleblowers;Strengthening anti-gagging provisions in the law;Specialist training for tribunal members to handle whistleblowing claims effectively.All workers to be protected by a statutory whistleblowing code.Cathy James, chief executive of whistleblowing charity Public Concern at Work, said: ‘Up until now whistleblowing has not been handled well by regulators. The lessons have still not been learnt and the government needs to act to ensure that we do not repeat the scandals and tragedies, which have plagued us over the last few years.’The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) will respond to a call for evidence on whistleblowing protection early next year.last_img read more

DAS UK suspends chief executive

first_imgLegal expenses insurer DAS UK has announced the suspension of its chief executive following an initial internal investigation.The Bristol-based company, which has an alternative business structure licence, confirmed the suspension of Paul Asplin in a management update today.Paul Timmins, chief operating officer, has been appointed acting chief executive.The statement said: ‘A full investigation will now be conducted with the support of an independent firm. The financial strength of the business and the service which DAS provides to its clients is not affected.’It added that relevant regulators – including the Financial Conduct Authority and Solicitors Regulation Authority – have been informed and will be kept updated with any developments.DAS started its own law firm, DAS Law, in May 2013 following the acquisition of CW Law earlier in the year. Asplin is a non-lawyer manager of the ABS.last_img read more

New Zealand government announces investment in commuter capacity and freight

first_imgNEW ZEALAND: Rail has been allocated a NZ$1·1bn share of a NZ$6·8bn package of transport infrastructure funding announced by the government on January 29.Transport Minister Phil Twyford said the rail investment was targeted at getting lorries off the roads and improving passenger services, particularly at busy times.‘This programme brings forward and funds significant projects, allowing them to be built sooner’, he said. ‘The package is designed to give the construction industry certainty and confidence about future work.’The projects to be funded include the provision of a third track between Westfield and Wiri in Auckland, where the route is shared by commuter trains and freight trains serving the ports.Electrifying the line from Papakura to Pukekohe will eliminate the need for passengers to switch to and from diesel trains, speeding up journeys to support a growth in commuting, while the provision of two additional platforms at Pukekohe will accommodate future growth. New stations with park and ride facilities at Drury Central and Drury West will provide more transport options for people moving to the area.A series of enhancements in Wellington are intended to make the lines to the north more reliable and better able to meet growing demand. Two passing loops will be provided on the Wairarapa line, along with a second platform at Featherston.The funding adds to NZ$96m announced last year for the removal speed restrictions on the Wairarapa line, and NZ$70m for track and signalling works on the approaches to Wellington station. Commuter rolling stock stabling facilities will be built in Wellington, Levin and Masterton.In addition, NZ$15m will be spent refurbishing ex-Auckland Transport coaches with new interiors, seats, and toilets for use on the Capital Connection service between Palmerston North and Wellington.The latest funding announcement was welcomed by national railway KiwiRail.‘These are exciting times for rail’, said Chief Executive Greg Miller. ‘Work in Auckland starts immediately, and will be completed in about four years. We’re delighted to have a continuum of funding that will enable us to plan and to recruit. This will also enable us to open our doors for cadets and apprentices.’last_img read more

More employment for Dominicans

first_img 167 Views   one comment Tweet Sharing is caring! Share Sharecenter_img Share LocalNews More employment for Dominicans by: – March 31, 2014 The second phase of the National Employment Program (NEP) dubbed the Community Employment Education Mentorship Program is expected to commence soon.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit told the first NEP Internship Forum which one hundred and fifty interns attended at the Dominica State College’s auditorium on Monday, March 31, 2014 that the program will see increased employment among the population.This second phase which will include beautification and road repairs among others will be undertaken by residents of various communities.“By April 4th this week we will be pushing the number to four hundred and thirty-seven people who will be employed under the National Employment Program”.Another program, parallel to the ‘Yes We Care’ Program will be introduced as part of the Community Employment Education Mentorship Program.“We will be utilizing the services of women in the various communities who will go and provide daily care to some of our seniors who are in need of daily care,” Mr Skerrit noted.Minister for Employment, Trade and Diaspora Affairs Dr. Collin McIntyreMeanwhile, Minister for Employment, Trade and Diaspora Affairs Dr. Collin McIntyre said the second phase of the program will target skilled and unskilled individuals.“We are embracing all kind of skill sets, we looked at the graduate first, we looked at the college graduates… we are now looking at the skilled and unskilled and we want to retool some of our people as well”.Dr McIntyre stated that the establishment of the after school program will take education among children to the next level.The NEP, which was launched here in December 2013 was expected to last for 12 months, however Dr McIntyre announced that the government plans to extend the program.He therefore urged the interns to “be the best” that they can be.“We are looking at continuity we are not about to employ you for 10-12 months and let you go, we are looking at a serious partnership with the private sector where by we can meet that mark,” McIntyre said.He called on the private sector to assist the program to meet its objective which is to increase the employment level in Dominica.“So if you put that print in there, you make that mark, you build that company I am very sure that you will see things moving in your direction,” Dr McIntyre said.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Pivotal Selects Keysight’s 5G Solutions for Automating Manufacturing Test on its Repeater

first_imgPivotal Commware, a recognized pioneer of 5G mmWave technologies, systems, and applications using Holographic Beam Forming selected Keysight’s M9807A PXIe Vector Network Analyzer and PathWave suite of software solutions for automating the manufacturing test of Pivotal’s Echo 5G™ subscriber repeater, which is commercially deployed in U.S. 5G networks. Keysight is a leading supplier of electronic test and measurement equipment and software to engineering, enterprise, and service provider customers worldwide.Pivotal integrated the M9807A, using PathWave, into an internally developed, fast, and agile automation environment. The Keysight solution allows Pivotal to efficiently test both subassemblies and final product with dependability, accuracy, and speed.Setting up to build and test high volume products at mmWave frequencies was no easy task. The opportunity to do something that had never been done before called for a strong partnership with an industry leader in 5G testing solutions. By selecting Keysight Technologies, Pivotal will be able to cut the configuration test time by 75% while accelerating the time to market to meet the growing demand of its network operator customers.Pivot 5G addresses mmWave coverage challenges by capturing and redirecting mmWave signals from the 5G base station around obstacles like buildings. By extending the range of 5G base stations, Pivot 5G will reduce base station CAPEX, ongoing OPEX, siting costs, and deployment time, while growing network coverage organically along with revenue.Click here to learn more about Pivot 5G.last_img read more

City greenlights Clayton’s Pier rezoning

first_img Share By KEVIN RICHSpecial to the PRESSThe South Padre Island City Council addressed issues related to the proposed Clayton’s Fishing Pier during their October 4 meeting.Mayor Barry Patel recused himself from all the agenda items related to the pier and turned control of the meeting over to Mayor Pro-Tem Dennis Stahl.First up regarding this issue was the City’s proposed annexation plan. As discussed in other meetings, 600 feet of the proposed pier extending out into the Gulf of Mexico would sit outside of the City’s current jurisdiction. Dr. Sungman Kim, director of development services, provided a presentation on the City’s proposed plan to annex the area in question.Kim explained the process could be completed as soon as February 2018 if started now, and could be completed even sooner if Council is willing to hold special meetings in order to meet all the required steps. Council voted unanimously to approve the proposed annexation plan and agreed to an expedited meeting schedule.Stahl then opened a public hearing on changing the zoning of the beach area around the proposed pier from its current designation of District B, Multi-family dwelling, apartment, motel, hotel, condominium, townhouse district, to District PBN (Padre Boulevard North) Character zone.“I think this is just the perfect venue for South Padre Island. This is something that I would take all my kids to,” said the general manager of the Ramada Hotel, one of several community members who spoke in support of the pier and the related rezoning.Island resident Shane Wilson questioned why the rezoning did not include beach areas farther south of the proposed pier in front of the Tiki Condominiums.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here. RelatedFunding requests, Clayton’s Pier top Council talksBy KEVIN RICH Special to the PRESS The South Padre Island City Council weighed funding requests against proposed budget concerns as well as debated a beach and dune permit for a proposed pier at Clayton’s Beach Bar during its regular meeting held on Wednesday, June 7. “These are very worthwhile causes…June 16, 2017In “News”Debate over Clayton’s Pier continuesBy KEVIN RICH Special to the PRESS The plan to rezone an area including the proposed Clayton’s Fishing Pier was once again the subject of debate during a pair of public hearings held at the Thursday, Sept. 21 meeting of the South Padre Island Planning and Zoning Committee. On Sept. 12,…September 29, 2017In “News”Island annexes land for Clayton’s PierBy KEVIN RICH Special to the PRESS Clayton’s Pier was once again the topic of discussion during a pair of South Padre Island City Council meetings held last week. At issue during the Dec. 13 and 14 meetings was the proposed annexation of land at the sight of the 1,000 foot…December 22, 2017In “News”last_img read more

Report: Browns Shopping CB Jamar Taylor and TE Randall Telfer

first_img Matt Loede Related TopicsJamar TaylorRandall Telfer On a day when the rumors will be flying hot and heavy, the Browns are reportedly shopping a couple players already on the roster, as Ohio.com’s Nate Ulrich reports the team is willing to move CB Jamar Taylor and TE Randall Telfer.The Browns are also shopping cornerback Jamar Taylor and tight end Randall Telfer, a source said. On Wednesday, NFL Network reported Taylor could be dealt if Dorsey drafts a cornerback early. Taylor and Telfer were full-time starters for the Browns last season.Telfer was a 6th round pick of the Browns back in 2015, and hasn’t made all that much of an impact in his first two seasons. Last year he pulled in three passes for 36 yards and no TD’s.He’s in the final year of his rookie deal and is set to make $705,000 this season.Taylor was traded from the Dolphins to the Browns in 2016, and the Browns gave him a new deal for $15 million over three seasons. We shall see if there’s any takers and what the Browns might get in return if they can move one of these two players. center_img Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE.last_img read more

Troopers Seek Owners of Property Found in Stolen Vehicle

first_imgTroopers ask that anyone with information about the coins or belt buckles should contact Soldotna AST at (907)262-4453. On September 17 at 9:58 pm, Soldotna AST recovered a stolen vehicle in Nikiski. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Alaska State Troopers recovered a stolen vehicle in Nikiski in September and are looking for the owner of some of the items inside.center_img The vehicle contained stolen property, including collectible coins in hard cases and a commemorative Exxon Valdez belt buckle.last_img read more

Japanese men set Asian record in 4×100 relay

first_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 KEYWORDS Yoshihide Kiryu, 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Shuhei Tada, Kirara Shiraishi, Adbul Hakim Sani Brown The Japanese men’s 4×100-meter relay team of (from left) Shuhei Tada, Kirara Shiraishi, Yoshihide Kiryu and Abdul Hakim Sani Brown pose after finishing third at the world athletics championships on Saturday in Doha. | KYODO RELATED PHOTOScenter_img GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES Great Britain set a European record of 37.36 for silver, while the United States took gold with a world-leading time of 37.10.Japan benefited from having two runners who have broken the 10-second barrier in the 100, including national 4×100 team debutant Sani Brown, who holds the Japan record of 9.97 seconds at his regular distance.“I wanted a better color, but it’s an Asian record, so I think it will lead us into next year,” Sani Brown said. “It was a different kind of fun compared to the 100.”The 2020 Olympic hosts are not scheduled to appear on Sunday, the last day of the tournament, and leave with three gold medals, including one each from Yusuke Suzuki and Toshikazu Yamanishi in race walking. The Japanese men’s team set a new Asian record in the 4×100-meter relay at the athletics world championships on Saturday and finished third to secure a spot in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.The team of Shuhei Tada, Kirara Shiraishi, Yoshihide Kiryu and Abdul Hakim Sani Brown crossed the line in 37.43 seconds to claim its second straight world championship bronze medal, rewriting Japan’s previous Asian record of 37.60 set at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games upon capturing a second Olympic silver medal.last_img read more

House Adjourns From Special Session In Final Days, Senate Disappointed By House Majority’s Failure To Compromise

first_imgSenate President Pete Kelly, R-Fairbanks, released the following statement today in response to the House Majority’s failure to compromise on an operating budget……“We are deeply disappointed in the House Majority’s actions tonight. In one fell swoop, the House Majority’s $12.1 billion budget plunders one-third of the Permanent Fund earnings reserve, forcing the fund’s managers to sell off high-earning assets in exchange for a quick political ‘fix’ that solves nothing. This is the same fund that pays out dividends to Alaskans. Contrary to the House Majority’s rhetoric, their budget and adjournment tonight does not avert a government shutdown, but forces the Legislature into an additional special session that adds costs, grows uncertainty for the public and private sectors, and further hampers the ability of the two bodies to reach a compromise.” The House majority moved during a late Thursday floor session to rescind a prior vote on Alaska’s capital budget and advance a state operating budget as an 89-page amendment to that measure. There’s general agreement that earnings from Alaska’s oil-wealth fund, the Alaska Permanent Fund, should be used to help cover costs. But the House coalition, earlier this year conditioned its support for use of earnings and an initial limit on the size of dividend Alaskans would get from the fund on passage of a broad-based tax and an overhaul of oil tax and credit policies. They saw that as a more balanced approach. Governor Bill Walker: “We were surprised by the House Majority’s actions tonight. They did not get the job done for Alaska. A compromise is required to protect Alaskans and put the state on a stable fiscal path.”  FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享A divided House has adopted a take-it-or-leave-it approach on the state budget late Thursday, with the passage of a thrown-together spending plan amid ongoing frustration with the Senate, and adjourning from the special session in its final days.center_img Speaker of the House Rep. Bryce Edgmon: “Our actions tonight were not taken lightly. We simply had to remove the threat of a government shutdown from over the heads of Alaskans and our already struggling economy. We negotiated in good faith for a comprehensive and evenhanded fiscal plan, but the Senate Majority refused to consider anything other than their plan to cut Permanent Fund Dividends. Such a plan is simply unfair and places the sole burden of filling the over $2 billion budget gap on every man, woman, and child in Alaska without balanced contributions from the oil industry or the thousands of out-of-state workers.” Minority House Republicans fiercely objected, saying they had little time to review the budget proposal and warned the move could tarnish relationships among lawmakers. For months, the House and Senate have been at odds over the best path forward for the state, which has long relied on oil revenue to pay for government services and has been using savings to cover deficits amid low oil prices. Today marks the end of the special session.last_img read more