Striker Jamie Vardy may have returned to the headlines as Leicester City closed in on the Premier League title on Sunday, but the contribution by the team’s defenders cannot be overlooked.In the 2-0 victory at Sunderland Vardy became the club’s first player to reach 20 top-flight league goals since Gary Lineker’s 24 in 1984-5.Just as significant, however, was the clean sheet kept by goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and those in front of him. It was their fifth in succession, the previous four all having earned vital points in 1-0 wins.Earlier in the season Claudio Ranieri’s side were conceding regularly — including five in a home defeat by Arsenal — but since the experienced Italian introduced Danny Simpson and Austrian Christian Fuchs at full back, there have been 13 clean sheets in 22 games.Thanks to that pair and central defenders Robert Huth and Wes Morgan, Schmeichel’s fine save from Fabio Borini in the first half at Sunderland was the only time he was tested.It is now 490 minutes since West Bromwich Albion became the last team to pierce the armour, in a surprise 2-2 draw at Leicester on March 1.West Ham United, in sixth place and on a good run, are the next team to attempt to find a chink when they visit the King Power Stadium next Sunday.Swansea City, in 12th place, follow them, by which time Leicester could be in a position to sew up the title.Their remaining fixtures after that are away to Manchester United and Ranieri’s former club Chelsea, either side of a home game with Everton.The next landmark, still not mathematically certain, will be a place in the Champions League for the first time.Leicester are guaranteed a top-four Premier League finish, but if Liverpool and Manchester City both finished fifth or below, while winning the Europa League and Champions League respectively, then only the top three would qualify for Europe’s elite competition.Leicester have only ever played in European competition three times, the last of them in the 2000-1 UEFA Cup.“The fans must continue to dream but we must continue to be concentrated and focused,” Ranieri told the BBC on Sunday.“Now we have two tough matches at home. The Champions League is not in our pocket but it is on the table and we have to take it. We don’t achieve nothing yet.”
Philippine team vs Poland in FIBA 3×3 worlds. Photo from FIBA.comOne of the proponents when it comes to the development of 3×3 basketball, the Philippines will be the stage for the Fiba 3×3 World Cup 2018.Manila has been granted the hosting rights for the fifth edition of the international 3×3 tournament, where it will serve as the culmination for the numerous 3×3 legs next year.ADVERTISEMENT Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely UP’s Manuel passes Civil Engineering board exam, eyes PBA LATEST STORIES “We are very proud and honored to be hosting the FIBA 3×3 World Cup next year,” said Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Sonny Barrios in a statement.“Our two previous experiences hosting FIBA 3×3 events have been a success and 3×3 has become a centerpiece of our development program.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnSPORTSBreak new groundThe country staged Manila Masters legs back in 2014 and 2015, where national team players Terrence Romeo and Calvin Abueva battled the world’s best 3-on-3 ballers.“We are delighted to bring the FIBA 3×3 World Cup to the Philippines,” said Fiba 3×3 managing director Alex Sanchez. “We are positive that the SBP and the passionate Filipino fans will make it an unbelievable experience for the best 3×3 players in the world and everyone watching on all platforms.” Taal Volcano evacuees warned against going home End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Wildlife rescuers asked to turn over animals to DENR MOST READ Bulacan town gears up for biggest cookie jar Presidency bid needs ‘deep reflection’ – Sara Duterte Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Serbia’s men and Czech Republic’s women’s teams are the reigning world champions after topping the 2016 tilt in Guangzhou, China. The two squads are set to defend the title in the 2017 World Cup in Nantes, France slated on June 17 to 21.Mac Belo, Russel Escoto, Glenn Khobuntin, and Karl Dehesa represented the Philippines in the Fiba 3×3 World Cup last year.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ex-Bulacan town vice mayor, village chief shot dead View comments
The City Magistrate presiding over the former Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Board Director Carvil Duncan’s million fraud case on Wednesday recused herself.Magistrate Leron Daly recused herself with the aim of not seeming biased on the matter.GPL Board Director Carvil DuncanDuncan’s case first appeared before Magistrate Daly in August 2016 and in November 2016, Daly ruled that he was found innocent of another charge of theft of $900,000 from GPL.However, the first charge against him, which is still before the court, is yet to be determined, and as such, Daly recused herself indicating that she does not want her judgment on the matter to be biased.In that charge, Duncan, along with the former Deputy CEO of GPL Aeshwar Deonarine, are jointly charged for conspiring to steal $27.7 million in January of 2016, money belonging to GPL.Deonarine, however, fled the country and an arrest warrant was issued.The matter is set to return to court today before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan who will reassign the case to another Magistrate.
0Shares0000SOUTHAMPTON, October 18-Southampton recorded the biggest top-flight victory in their history on Saturday, thrashing Sunderland 8-0 at St Mary’s to hold onto third place in the Premier League.The in-form Graziano Pelle scored twice while Dusan Tadic, another of Ronald Koeman’s impressive summer signings, scored one and set up four more in a remarkable performance by the home side, who bounced back from a defeat at Tottenham Hostpur in their last outing before the international break. Southampton have now won seven of their last eight games in all competitions, while Sunderland remain with just one Premier League win this season after a miserable performance which included two own goals by Santiago Vergini and Liam Bridcutt.Argentine defender Vergini set the ball rolling with an extraordinary own goal in the 12th minute, inexplicably volleying past his own goalkeeper from 18 yards.However, nobody could have predicted at that point that Sunderland, having conceded just seven times in their opening eight games this season, would go on to collapse so dramatically.They fell 2-0 down in the 18th minute when a low ball across goal by Steven Davis was turned into the net by Italy striker Pelle for the 100th club goal of his career.The Saints were well and truly on top and Jack Cork bundled in a Tadic ball from the left in the 37th minute to make it 3-0 to the hosts at the interval.Things only got worse for Sunderland in the second half, with Bridcutt helping the ball into his own net in the 63rd minute after Mannone had spilled Pelle’s initial effort.And Pelle, the Premier League’s player of the month for September who scored Italy’s winner in a Euro 2016 qualifying play-off in Malta in midweek, swept home a Tadic through ball for his second of the game to make it 5-0 on 69 minutes.Tadic then got his name on the scoresheet with 12 minutes remaining, curling into an empty net after Mannone had somehow managed to give the ball straight to the Serb.The rampant Tadic set up substitute Victor Wanyama to slam home the seventh a minute later and Tadic then teed up another substitute, Sadio Mane, to make it 8-0 four minutes from time.Southampton fell one goal short of equalling the Premier League record winning margin, set by Manchester United in a 9-0 mauling of Ipswich Town in 1995, but that will come as no consolation to a sorry Sunderland.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
to get rewards WHITTIER – American Red Cross officials say everyone who signs up to donate blood in July will receive a coupon for a complimentary Skillet Queso at Chili’s and can enter to win a $500 gift card for gasoline. Blood donors can participate in the promotion in Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Ventura Counties. The American Red Cross aims to increase blood and platelet donations for the purpose of attaining higher blood supply levels. The winner of the gas drawing will be announced by Aug. 15, 2007. Any person 17 years or older, weighing at least 110 pounds, may be eligible to donate blood. All eligible donors are asked to schedule an appointment to donate blood by calling (800) 448-3543. For more information, visit www.GiveLife.org. VFW post offers stroganoff dinner SANTA FE SPRINGS – The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3752 will serve a beef stroganoff dinner from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Friday at its facility, 11912 Rivera Road. The dinner costs $5.95 per person. All proceeds will benefit veterans. For more information, call (562) 698-9059. Home, rent help at Senior Center WHITTIER – John Spix and volunteers will provide help with homeowners and renters assistance from 9 a.m. to noon every Friday through Sept. 7 at the Whittier Senior Center, 13225 Walnut St. The assistance is free of charge, but appointments are required. To make an appointment, call the Whittier Senior Center at (562) 464-3370. Students may get free lunches EAST WHITTIER – The East Whittier City School District is now accepting applications from its students for its free and reduced-price National School Lunch/Breakfast program. Families must meet income guidelines to participate in the program. Children whose families are on public assistance automatically qualify for the meal program, regardless of their household income. Income guidelines vary. For example, a family of four must make under $26,845 annually in order to qualify for free lunch, or $38,203 for reduced- price meals. To qualify, households must complete an application, which are now being sent to students’ homes, and return them to the school for processing. Families can apply for the program at any time during the school year. For more information, contact the district office at (562) 698-0351. – From staff reports 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! St. Paul High School were Joanna Macalald and Danielle Richmond. Whittier High School award recipients were Ian Jimenez and Morgan Whites. Each year, the Lions Club provides awards for applicants who are evaluated on academic achievement, community service and active school participation. The annual awards stem from a memorial fund established in 1987 in honor of former club member and Whittier City Mayor Keith Miller. Blood donors WHITTIER – The Whittier Host Lions Club has awarded 11 local high school graduates with scholarships totaling $13,000, officials announced. Award recipients from California High School were Francisco Amezquita, Anthony Castro, Jessica Mylles and Justin Ibey. La Serna High School award recipients were Clint La Vigne, Brittany Angarola and Michelle Lopez. Award recipients from
By Don Thompson THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SACRAMENTO – The state corrections department overcounted by nearly one-third the number of paroled sex offenders who risked being sent back to prison if they did not move from their homes because they live too close to schools and parks, a spokesman said Monday. The department announced 2
Julian Draxler 1 Julian Draxler will complete his move to Wolfsburg today, ending Arsenal’s long running interest in the midfielder.Schalke thought they were lining up a deal sell the Germany international to Juventus as the summer transfer window came to a close.However, Wolfsburg, with over £50m banked following sale of Kevin de Bruyne to Manchester City, have swooped in to hijack the deal.Klaus Allofs, the sporting director at Wolfsburg, said: “There is a great desire of the player to come to us.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Anticipating a typically warm summer in the Southland, city officials are ready for crowds. “We’re gonna get a good start this year,” said Joe Batarse, aquatic director for the Department of Parks and Recreation. “It’s gonna be a hot one.” Last year, about 1.4 million people used the pools citywide, Batarse said, and this year should see just as many people. Long lines filled the entryway at North Hollywood’s Valley Plaza pool, mostly parents seeking to enroll their children in swimming lessons. This year, a $1.2 million partnership with Kaiser-Permanente – called Operation Splash – will extend the swimming pool season by two weeks beyond the usual Labor Day closing date. With temperatures hitting the mid-90s in the San Fernando Valley, hundreds of kids and adults alike splashed away the heat Saturday as Los Angeles opened its 33 seasonal public pools for the summer. Preni Sinaei, 16, and her sister Melanie, 10, swam at the Sun Valley park pool every day last summer and were back at the pool Saturday. “My favorite part of the summer is swimming,” Preni said. In its eighth year, the Free Swim Program lets youngsters under 17 and seniors over 65 attend Los Angeles city-owned pools for free. This year, L.A. library cardholders also can swim for free. It also will provide free swim lessons and swimming supplies for some youths and adults. For many parents, the pool summer season is about giving their kids something to do while they are out of school. Juana Mendoza said it lets her keep tabs on her 20-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter at the same time. “We are here very often in the summer,” Mendoza said. “I’d rather have my son in the water than on the streets.” The day didn’t go without its kinks. In Sun Valley, the pool was only open for an hour before it was closed again because of “cloudy water.” The problem, caused by dried-up plaster during the winter off-season, is pretty routine, manager Michael Shanto said. “I guess I’ll go back home and sleep,” said Jesse Sanchez, 14. Sanchez, who has been a regular at the Sun Valley pool for the last six years, said he was upset the pool had to close, but it wouldn’t stop him from coming back. “It’s hot, man,” Sanchez said. “It’s always hot.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Hodgson looks on during his side’s 4-1 defeat to Arsenal at The Emirates Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson was pleased with his side’s second half fightback after initially fearing they could concede seven or eight against a rampant Arsenal side.Arsenal ripped through the Palace defence in an opening 22 minutes, with goals from Nacho Monreal, Alex Iwobi, Laurent Koscielny and Alexandre Lacazette putting the Gunners firmly in control.Although Luka Milivojevic clawed one back for the visitors, it was far too late and merely a consolation.For Hodgson, it was crucial the Eagles reduced the deficit as much as possible and avoided an embarrassing defeat.“It became very hard to take because we conceded two goals from corner kicks which is something which we haven’t been doing recently, we’ve been quite strong at avoiding those goals,” said the Palace boss.“Of course, we encountered an Arsenal in that 20-minute period buoyed by the early goals who showed the full range of their passing skills and their movement in the middle of the field and it certainly put us very much on the back foot.“At half-time I thought we were staring down the barrel of a gun.“I think had we not marshalled ourselves and shown the character that the players showed in the second half and produced the work rate, it would have been an avalanche.“As it turns out, we not only managed to stop them scoring more goals, we got one of our own and reduced the deficit to a minus three rather than a minus seven or eight.”To compound a miserable afternoon for Palace, Yohan Cabaye was stretchered off before full-time.They now have an injury list which includes Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Andros Townsend, Mamadou Sakho and Scott Dann. 1
Celtic’s Champions League opponents Rosenborg are in disarray after the club’s players released a statement voicing their anger over former manager Kare Ingebrigtsen’s sacking.The Norwegian champions announced on Thursday that they had parted company with Ingebritsen and assistant Erik Hoftun with immediate effect.The decision came a day after the side narrowly avoided being knocked out of Champions League qualification at the first hurdle.However, in a statement on Friday, Rosenborg’s players insisted they “vehemently disagreed” with the move and demanded Ingebrigtsen and Hoftun were reinstated ahead of their showdown with Celtic. Their request has been refused by the board, though, who have instead placed academy coach Rini Collent in temporary charge.The press release read: “We vehemently disagree with the board’s decision to sack Kåre (Ingebrigtsen) and Erik (Hoftun).“The whole group was behind the training team until the end, and the group believes they were and would be best suited to further development.“As a group we asked the board to reinstate Kåre and Erik, but they refused. “We thank you for four wonderful years, with very good results and the return of Rosenborg as Norway’s largest club.“Furthermore, we will professionally deal with those who come in now and will do our utmost to perform in future matches.”Rosenborg are two points off the top of the Eliteserien table.