By JARROD POTTER THERE’S only one way to end a completely hectic off-season – blare the siren and get ready…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Kara IrvingANDREW Powell and his best mate Gavin consider themselves the next Hamish and Andy. “But we’re willing to…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Russell BennettGEMBROOK voters asked their candidates the tough questions at a community forum last week in Emerald. Sitting member…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
One day after angry vendors protested in front of City Hall and the Ministry of the Presidency against their removal from the Stabroek Market area and the lack of a smooth transition to the new proposed site on Hadfield Street, the City Council is pushing to have the location opened for vending within the next 24 hours.Vendors protesting outside Parliament on WednesdayOn Wednesday, vendors took their cries to the front of Parliament Building during the first sitting of the National Assembly after a hiatus. Several vendors gathered outside the barricades at the Public Building to express their disapproval of how the situation is being handled.Town Clerk Royston King stated on Wednesday that the contractors would be working assiduously to have work completed on the new site within the next 24 hours.King, who is overseeing construction work at the proposed site, also reassured the vendors that they would be satisfied with the final results at the new location, which is situated south of the Parliament Building.The new temporary location is said to be equipped with facilities that were absent at the present location which will make vending more comfortable.In a recent interview, the Town Clerk told Guyana Times that the site was expected to have proper lighting, as well as full security and sanitary facilities.Vendors can also look forward to having compactors to deal with the garbage generated and removable, collapsible tents.These facilities will, however, come at a price, as King had indicated that the vendors would be required to pay to maintain the site. The amount to be paid by each vendor has not been disclosed.ApologyIn a social media post, Deputy Mayor Sherrod Duncan expressed his apologies to the vendors for the circumstances surrounding the removal.“I believed that we should have exerted greater efficacy on getting the proposed area ready for our vendors, who are such an important part of the character of our City. I offer the City and affected vendors in particular my unreserved apology,” part of the post stated.This came after vendors had lambasted City Hall for removing them without adequate plans in place to have them transitioned immediately to the new location as was promised.During a protest on Tuesday, the vendors had voiced their anger against the decision, which they said put a halt to their livelihood.In addition, vendors had claimed that when they turned up at the location to ply their trade, the gates were secured with padlocks, prohibiting them from entering.King had responded to this, stating that the property was privately owned and City Hall had received permission to utilise the land, but only until construction work had been completed would it be opened for vending.Meanwhile, the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), in a statement to the media, condemned the actions of the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) Government, stating that it was putting up a “façade” about cleaning up the city when its objective was to “remove the vendors”.“Operating in true military style, facilitated by civilian operatives, the APNU/AFC Government demonstrated their anti-people, anti-poor and elitist predisposition towards a social strata, which in the face of rising unemployment and increasing economic difficulties have chosen to eke out a living – a living that has placed them in a daily and nightly struggle to make end meets,” the Party said.The City Council was also lambasted for being stimulated by Central Government to make the decision which is contrary to the laws of Guyana which allows for vending to be done in the Stabroek Market Square from 06:00h to 18:00h.The PPP believes that speaking to the vendors to derive a way forward on how they could earn a living wage would have been a more approachable method instead.It maintained its position that “the vendors must be allowed to ply their trade and earn a living in an honest and law-abiding manner, as they have been doing.” Stabroek Market restoration– PPP condemns action by Govt
Mayor John Tory said the team owner and the city only had “three days” to prepare for the parade. Tory said the city’s manager will work with police and the city’s sports teams to review the parade to see how they can improve on it.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Taal evacuees make the most of ‘unusual’ clothing donations, leaves online users laughing Deandre Ayton shines as Suns pound Knicks View comments LATEST STORIES Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted Toronto Police secure the scene where shots were fired during the Toronto Raptors NBA basketball championship parade in Toronto, Monday, June 17, 2019. (Andrew Lahodynskyj/The Canadian Press via AP)TORONTO — Police are looking for a fourth person and haven’t recovered the gun involved in a shooting at a rally for the NBA champion Raptors that wounded four people and sent thousands fleeing, authorities said Tuesday.Toronto Police Chief Marc Saunders said they are looking for a male who was wearing a white button down T-shirt at Monday’s shooting at city hall square, less than a block from where the players and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sat on stage.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Solon urges Solgen to reconsider quo warranto petition vs ABS-CBN Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Police arrested three people who are now facing firearm charges, but the shell casings at the scene didn’t match two guns seized. Shaquille Anthony Miller, 25, Abdikarim Kerow, 18, and Thaino Toussaint, 20 have been charged and made brief bail hearing appearances on Monday.Droves of Raptors fans stampeded from the site. Those wounded by the gunshots didn’t suffer life-threatening injuries.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsInvestigators did not discuss a possible motive.Hordes of fans jammed downtown Toronto for Monday’s parade, raising concerns about safety, lack of proper barriers and overcrowding as the city celebrated its first major sports title in more than a quarter-century. The parade ran three hours behind schedule as the team’s double-decker buses had trouble getting through the throngs. Police: California school shooting took 16 seconds PLAY LIST 01:42Police: California school shooting took 16 seconds01:56PNP demonstrates proper disposal of confiscated firecrackers00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 11 nabbed for shabu, drug den busted in Maguindanao Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay Rio’s unsafe Olympic Park ordered closed by Brazilian judge Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Celtics’ Al Horford to be unrestricted free agent
0Shares0000PARIS, November 4-LOSC Lille boss Rene Girard has reiterated his stance that striker Divock Origi will see out the season at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy.Liverpool bought the Belgian starlet shortly after the World Cup, but loaned him right back to Lille as part of the deal. Recently there has been talk that Origi could return to Anfield to ease their striking troubles in January, with Daniel Sturridge battling with injury and Mario Balotelli struggling to adapt.However, Girard is adamant that this will not happen and that the 19-year-old will stay with the club until the end of the season.“The question was never asked, it is just a rumour.” the Les Dogues boss told RTBF.“There have not been any approaches to my knowledge. It was agreed that Divock would spend the year with us. “There are no reasons for him to leave half way through the season. We need him enormously.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
The England international was snapped up by the Gunners, while United brought in Radamel Falcao as his replacement, although it was Welbeck who made the difference in the cup this week, latching on to Antonio Valencia’s poor backpass before rounding David de Gea and slotting home to earn Arsene Wenger’s men a 2-1 win and their place in the semi-finals.However, when asked whether he regretted trading Welbeck for Falcao, Van Gaal said: “He (Falcao) has scored four goals, had three or four assists and he stimulates the other players, so that is an aspect of the profession. But it is now easy for you to say that and you are happy to say that.”Looking back over the game, the Dutch tactician felt aggrieved by the way his side let themselves down, saying: “It’s very disappointing when you give the victory to your opponent,” said Van Gaal. “When you haven’t lost because of the opposition, you have lost because of yourself.“The players are very disappointed because they know that it could be different. Matches are decided by goals and you see the second goal, it was nothing, we gave it away. The man who did that was the best man of my team and that’s also disappointing for him.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000MANCHESTER, March 10- Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal insists he has no regrets about selling Danny Welbeck to Arsenal after the striker came back to haunt his former club by scoring the winner in Monday’s FA Cup quarter-final.Welbeck came up through the Red Devils youth academy under former boss Sir Alex Ferguson, but was one of the first transfer casualties at Old Trafford in the off-season following Van Gaal’s appointment to the hot seat.
Film studio United Artists Entertainment has secured $500 million in financing through Merrill Lynch & Co. to fund a slate of 15 to 18 movies over the next five years, the companies said Thursday. The financing, from investors in Europe, Asia, Africa and the United States, comes in the midst of a worldwide credit crunch and at a time when Hollywood has become dependent on such deals. UA, which is owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer along with Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner, said it will use the money to produce films it develops itself, to finance or co-finance films from other producers or to acquire films. The studio expects to release four to six films each year. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The financing will be used immediately to fund two films already in progress, said Wagner, who serves as UA’s chief executive. “Lion for Lambs,” directed by Robert Redford and starring Cruise and Meryl Streep, is set for release in November. “Valkyrie,” directed by Bryan Singer and also starring Cruise, will be released next summer. Cruise and Wagner became part-owners of United Artists last November and have the authority to approve or greenlight films at the venerable studio. “The closing of this financing is an important milestone for the new United Artists,” Wagner said in a written statement.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant Prefabricated homes date back more than 50 years and have never made much of a splash. But they’ve received new life in recent years thanks to the high cost of home construction and increased interest in modern living. “I thought it was a nerdy hobby interest that I had that nobody else cared about,” said Michael Sylvester, who launched www.fabprefab.com in 2003. “I put all of my findings on a site and the traffic went berserk.” Interest, however, remains mostly hype. Firms have received few purchase commitments and even fewer homes have been built and shipped. (Sylvester, a business management consultant who tracks prefab sales, estimates the number of built prefabs at about 30.) Few firms have their own production factories, so they have been amassing waiting lists of people who want to go prefab. KitHAUS, which has its own production plant, packs its home in boxes and will deliver it to the site of your future door. The company began showing a model at its Van Nuys plant in January and six people have inquired seriously. Imagine a home with components light enough to be carried piece by piece into isolation, strong enough to withstand extreme heat and Santa Ana winds, and versatile enough to be rearranged like Legos. That is the idea being sold by a Van Nuys company that recently joined the cabal of modernist architects trying their luck at low-cost prefabricated dwellings. “What we are finding is people are thinking, Cool, if I can find a piece of land and put three of these together, I’ll have a modern-style home I otherwise couldn’t afford,” said Tom Sandonato, kitHAUS co-founder and designer, who lives in a 50-year-old post-and-beam home in Roscomare Canyon. Some of building’s finest have drawn plans for high-brow homes that can be mass-produced. Firms such as Marmol Radziner, Rocio Romero and Lazor Office believe homeowners are willing to pay a little extra to escape tract housing without mortgaging their solvency on a truly custom modern home. The aluminum beams, licensed from a designer who patented their interlocking teeth, allow the owner of multiple kits to construct several different dwellings. The structure rests on a pier of 6 inches to 30 inches that enables it to be placed on a slope, which could prove valuable in Los Angeles, where vacant land is mostly limited to seemingly uninhabitable hillside plots and many Angelenos desire a million-dollar view. That is what attracted George Suchand to kitHAUS. The Los Angeles city firefighter wanted to know whether living on a steep slope could be affordable. He was disappointed to learn, however, that “nobody has actually done it. Anything can be done, but there is a cost” – and it’s likely outside the Culver City man’s price range. Sandonato is convinced they will work. In a few years, he will begin constructing his own castle. He and his wife and another couple recently purchased 100 acres in Arroyo Grande on California’s Central Coast with plans to dwell in separate kitHAUS combinations linked with a breezeway. Throughout the rest of the property, Sandonato wants to sprinkle single K-1s and K-2s – offices, retreats, entertainment rooms. KitHAUS is Sandonato’s third venture since leaving Warner Bros. visual merchandising and store design two years ago. He and Martin Wehmann, kitHAUS’ other founder, began with Silver Stream, a fabricating company that recently furnished “Ashes and Snow.” Then he launched Modern Outdoor with the help of Brett Himmel. In January, kitHAUS’ blueprint was approved. The model is decorated as a living room and includes a bathroom tucked behind a wall of Ipe wood. Kits also can be outfitted with a kitchen or a fireplace. The exterior walls mostly are metal and glass, which gives the room a natural radiance but, obviously, reduces privacy. Sandonato said the sound of rain pelting the “zinculum” alloy roof is minimal. This kit, a K-2, is 256 square feet and features a pitched roof that adds to the open feel. KitHAUS also has K-1 kits, which have the same 16-by-16 floor and a flat roof. Sandonato hopes some people will see kitHAUS as an alternative home and will mix and match several kits. A K-1 runs about $59,000, but three K-1s would only cost about $105,000 because they would share aluminum beams. That would reduce the cost per square foot from about $230 with one unit to $136 with three units. “The incarnations I’ve seen all look like retreats and weekenders and second homes,” said Sylvester, voicing an analysis that matches Sandonato’s business model. Nancy Murr currently works as a writer in a closet-size room in her Oakland home. Surfing the Web, she found kitHAUS. “We haven’t made up our mind, but it is really attractive to us,” said Murr, who is interested in putting a prefabricated office on a sloped hill in her yard. “They are just streamlined, fun, bright, modern. I love the aesthetics.” Brad A. Greenberg, (818) 713-3634 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Will Gavin brings you up-to-date with all the latest, breaking sports news. We’ve got rreaction to the final day’s action in Rio as the curtain was brouhgt down on a memorable couple of weeks for Team GB. Andy Murray’s winning streak came to an end at the Cincinatti Masters with defeat by Marin Cilic. And there’s a full round-up of the latest Premier League action.