Stacyann Beckles is a young and motivated entrepreneur working hard for her success. At only 30 years old, Beckles owns a very successful fashion design company that caters for models and a few organisations.Stacyann BecklesShe works form home at Corriverton, Berbice. Beckles was a school dropout and did part-time work with a nearby seamstress whose son had an interest in her. “All I use to do was to put on button and hem…”It was only until she was embarrassed for her lack of education that Beckles decided to open a business of her own. “Ah day she came home and saw me talking to a boy, but it wasn’t anything and she start to cuss and say that I am stupid and uneducated, she told me that I would not be good for her son, because he was going to UG then…”The young woman left embarrassed and with tears in her eyes and made a decision to prove ‘Miss Audrey’ wrong.It was not long after that there was a course in dress making being offered by the Social Protection Ministry and sponsored by the United Nations . The young woman grasped at the opportunity with the sole aim of proving that she can become a seamstress. Three months later, she received her certificate and as fate would have it, it was ‘Miss Audrey’ who was asked to present Stacyann with her certificate.“That was the first time I talk to her since then and she ask me if I want to come back and work, but I really wanted to say to her that I will be starting my own business ,but the way I wanted to say it to her I couldn’t do it at the graduation.”It is all history now as Beckles invested the $30,000 which she was given and bought some of the equipment that she needs.The idea of going big came one afternoon while chatting with a friend on the road; prior to that ,the only business that she was able to rake in was that of altering a few dresses.“A friend told me that they wanted somebody to make shirts for the staff in the store. It was too big for me, but I needed the money and when I thought of ‘Miss Audrey’ asking them who made the shirts and they say that is me…”She took the job and from then on sought other big jobs. “My aim was pageants and weddings. Now I get most of my orders from overseas; when people come home, they always come to me to make dresses, “she said.In March 2013, Beckles renamed her company which was called Fabric Designs, Stacyan’s Fashions. She says anybody can create a successful business if they have the willpower. Contact: 6615204
LOOK: Taal Volcano island 2 days after eruption Negros Occidental gov’t, church call for prayers for safety of Taal evacuees Alvarez will make a two-division jump in weight classes to take on Russia’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev on November 2 in Las Vegas.While Alvarez promoter Oscar de la Hoya has been bullish on the likelihood of a Golovkin-Alvarez rubber match in 2020, Alvarez himself has been less interested.Golovkin, for his part, is ready to move on.“I don’t think about those guys,” he said. “I don’t really want to discuss this. We had a contract, we were supposed to have a fight on September 14 and he just ran away.”Golovkin is more interested in talking about what he’s accomplishing in his second camp with trainer Johnathon Banks, a disciple of legendary trainer Emanuel Steward.ADVERTISEMENT ‘Very skilled fighter’The two had limited time to work together before Golovkin’s last fight, a fourth-round knockout of Steve Rolls at Madison Square Garden in June that took Golovkin’s record to 39-1-1 with 35 knockouts.Their latest camp has given Golovkin more time to absorb the teaching of Banks, who believes there’s more to Golovkin than fearsome punching power.“What I want to implement is just a rhythm, a movement more so of a strategy, not just going there and if all else fails we’ve got this bag of power right here,” Banks said.“I want to see him develop his skill. He’s a very skilled fighter.”Golovkin, who says he’s also benefitting from a new strength training and nutritional regimen, is excited about the changes.“I feel much better. I feel more young, I feel more interested,” he said. “Before Johnathon I started losing interest in developing as a boxer, started getting a little bored.“Now with Johnathon, things he taught me, he showed me, I’m more excited. I want to move forward.” Francis Kong, Jason Magbanua headline ‘The School for the Passionate, New Bold U 2020’ Megan Rapinoe, Lionel Messi win FIFA player of the year awards SEA Games: John Marvin 1st Filipino boxer to crash out, bows to Vietnam bet PLAY LIST 04:07SEA Games: John Marvin 1st Filipino boxer to crash out, bows to Vietnam bet03:13SEA Games 2019: PH’s Carlo Paalam boxing light flyweight semi final (HIGHLIGHTS)02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown LOOK: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Part 3 takes you straight to hell with a Music Video and First Look-Images Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Huge sinkhole swallows bus, kills six in China Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc LATEST STORIES MOST READ Read Next FILE – Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan reacts after winning by knockout in the fourth round against Steve Rolls of Canada during their Super Middleweights fight at Madison Square Garden on June 08, 2019 in New York City. Sarah Stier/Getty Images/AFPGennady Golovkin, tired of talking about a third Canelo Alvarez bout that hasn’t materialized, is focused instead on launching a new middleweight world title run when he takes on Sergiy Derevyanchenko on October 5.The vacant International Boxing Federation (IBF) and International Boxing Organization (WBO) belts will be on the line at Madison Square Garden, where 37-year-old Golovkin is 6-0.ADVERTISEMENT ‘People evacuated on their own’ Taal Volcano eruption: House to develop rehab plan for Batangas, Cavite, Laguna “I know him for a long time. He’s a very good fighter,” Golovkin said of Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko, the IBF’s top-rated contender who owns a record of 13-1 with 10 knockouts.Alvarez, who ended Golovkin’s unbeaten reign as unified middleweight champion with a majority decision victory in their second fight in September 2018, was stripped of the IBF belt when he failed to meet Derevyanchenko.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4Golovkin, speaking to a small group of reporters on Monday in Los Angeles — a quick trip from his training base in the Southern California mountain retreat of Big Bear Lake — said that fact carries no special significance for him.“I don’t really care who it was taken from,” he said of the titles on the line. “I want to box. I’m a fighter, I want to have huge fights.” No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist View comments
Dear Editor,There is now land giving away galore at the Office of the Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission (GLSC) at Corriverton.On February 13, 2018, nearly 800 prospective and current cattle and rice farmers flocked the GLSC’s office to apply for lands located at the #52/66 Communal Pasture. Some even came all the way from the USA allegedly making gifts to certain officials in an attempt to get preferential treatment. It is also alleged that many local applicants followed suit. There was a haste to dispense of monies for favours – a typical Guyanese sickness!This pasture comprises 17,000 acres and has been in existence for decades but in the last 12 years or so, there has been a gradual fencing of portions of this pasture by cattle farmers who have been trying to stake ownership.This was accelerated since this coalition took office. These cattle farmers have been digging and fencing huge areas which makes it impossible to drain the Pasture since water is now being trapped in these canals. The drainage and irrigation system bore no structured design. This was evident during the heavy rainfall last year. The savannah was heavily flooded and the water took a long time to recede.Unfortunately, this has now progressed to the stage where the GLSC at Corriverton has been inviting and receiving applications from farmers inviting them to show an expression of interest. The Application Form is on the GLSC letterhead. These prospective applicants have been told that they should apply for the lands at that particular location.On many occasions, Agriculture Minister Noel Holder would have made statements on his visits to Region Six in support of the development of our cattle and dairy farming. This was also supported by Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo and the Junior Finance Minister Jaipaul Sharma. However, from the applications made, it is evident that many of these applicants, nearly 90 per cent, are rice farmers and many applicants do not own any cattle, especially those from abroad. It is apparent also that those overseas applicants have real estate intentions or intentions to rent the lands at a later date, especially when it is a known fact that many of the lease land owners reside abroad and are renting their lands for hefty rental fees.Moreover, many cattle farmers would have complained to the PM’s representative in Region Six, Gobin Harbhajan, about the constant problems and struggles they face with rice farmers and it is clear that should rice be planted in localised areas within this savannah, then bloody and murderous conflicts may arise among these farmers.It is indeed baffling why the Commissioner of the GLSC, Trevor Benn has not seen it fit to discuss this matter at length with Regional Chairman David Armogan so that a collective decision can be made at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) level. Many times, the GLSC would try to impose its will in the region and the RDC have had to block the applications after the matters were reported by the affected Neighbourhood Democratic Councils (NDC).I have two cases at the Kilcoy/Hampshire NDC where communal pastures of more than 200 acres have been applied for and claimed by avaricious individuals to the detriment of the residents who now have no pastures to rear their animals. Although the applications to the GLSC were blocked by the RDC upon my intervention, the individuals went ahead and fenced the lands.These communal pastures should remain as that and should not become the private property of greedy individuals. There are lands available in remote areas – let them apply for those. Everyone should have access to these pastures to rear their cattle and it is the function of the Government to provide access roads and proper drainage to facilitate this. Why would Trevor Benn desire to commit such an injustice?Yours sincerely,Haseef YusufRDC Councillor –Region SixChairman (Kilcoy/Hampshire NDC)
Fire fighters in Linden, Region 10, managed to save the Ameila’s Ward home of the son of Junior Communities Minister Valerie Patterson, after a fire believed to be electrical in nature erupted there.The blaze started at about 20:00h at the concrete and wooden building when Lindy Sharpe was not at home. According to information reaching the Guyana Times, the fire started in the bottom flat of the house and completely damaged a room as it spread throughout the building.However, quick response by the Fire Service saw firefighters preventing the blaze from completely gutting the building.Contacted on Saturday evening by this newspaper, Sharpe was unaware that his home was on fire at the time, as he was in another part of the town.Meanwhile, contact was made with Minister Patterson, who confirmed that a fire had damaged her son’s home. She told this publication that it was electrical in nature. While she could not immediately give the extent of the damages, the Minister did note that part of the bottom flat had been destroyed.
Luiz Gustavo in action for Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo has rubbished talk that he is set to leave Wolfsburg for Arsenal.The defensive midfielder, 27, was heavily linked with a move to north London in 2013, before he eventually joined Wolfsburg.Since his £16m move from Bayern Munich, Gustavo has become a regular at Wolfsburg, scoring four goals in 33 games.And, despite being linked with Arsenal once again, the Brazilian has revealed he has no plans to leave the Bundesliga.“I am very happy; VfL Wolfsburg is a great club to play for and I like living in Germany and the German mentality,” Gustavo told BILD.“I feel my future is here and I am able to imagine playing on for many years, because I identify with the city of Wolfsburg.“Wolfsburg is a workers’ city and this suits me!” 1
As the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service, in 2016, approaches, the Bush administration is reaching out to private donors. So far, corporations and private groups have pledged more than $300 million to help clean up the park system, which has been deteriorating ? under inadequate maintenance budgets. Such private help is ? welcome. But it must not become an excuse to place commercial interests above the public’s. ? Among the greatest threats to the national parks, especially in the West, is a recent boom in nearby mining. The annual number of new claims for mining hard-rock minerals, such as gold, copper and uranium, has leaped by tens of thousands since 2003. One reason is that, fueled by a new interest in nuclear power, uranium prices have risen dramatically. ? Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., has introduced legislation that would curb this trend. The Hard-rock Mining and Reclamation Act calls for companies that extract valuable minerals to pay royalties, just as the coal, oil and gas industries must do. It would also forbid mining in sensitive wilderness areas and establish a cleanup fund for abandoned sites. All of these steps are crucial to ensure that the nation’s parks remain a cherished legacy, and to reinforce the idea that they belong to the public. – Providence (R.I.) Journal 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Luis Muriel [left] in action for Sampdoria Swansea have joined Southampton in the race to land Luis Muriel.The talented Colombian has found himself out of the Sampdoria starting XI since Vincenzo Montella took charge which has intensified speculation surrounding his future.The 24-year-old was linked with Liverpool as a potential replacement for Luis Suarez, when the Uruguayan left for Barcelona in 2014.But he instead quit Udinese for Sampdoria where he has scored eight goals in 33 Serie A appearances.Muriel is a reported target for Southampton boss Ronald Koeman, who may look to add to his striking options before the window shuts.But now reports in Italy have claimed that Swansea are the latest club to show an interest in bringing him to the Premier League. 1
Tony Kelly from Greencastle with Muhammad Ali donegaldaily.comA CO Donegal man has described his meeting with Muhammad Ali as “a dream come true.”Tony Kelly, from Greencastle, now lives in Louisville, Kentucky, where his wife is Megan is from. The couple met when Megan was working at an organic farm in Inishowen during a trip to Ireland.Twenty-four-year-old Tony knew Muhammad Ali lived in the city; but never dreamed he would meet him. Until last Friday that was, when Tony knocked on his hero’s door – and got to meet sporting and boxing legend.“I have always been a massive Muhammad Ali and never thought that I would ever get the chance to meet the legend,” plumber Tony told Donegal Daily.“But if the opportunity ever arose that I would take it. It was just my lucky day on Friday that I was across the road from his house.“When my work mates told me it was Ali’s house I was a bit suspicious but then I started to believe them. I said ‘feck it’ it, i’m gonna call down. “So at lunch time I walked to his door and knocked,Yolanda, his wife, answered the door and I explained to her that I was a huge fan of Ali’s and it would be a great honuor to be able to meet him.“She told me that Muhammad was unavailable at the moment and to call back in an hour’s time, and that he would be delighted to meet one of his Irish fans as he is proud of his Irish heritage.“An hour later I called back and was welcomed in to their home and Muhammad was sitting on his chair I introduced myself and said hello, he said hello back, and we posed for a few pictures.“They all said how lucky I was as they spend very little time in that house and it was just a case of right place right time.“Muhammad Ali has fans all over the world and he is such a people person that they didn’t mind me calling by, but it was just a ballsy move that paid off for me and I got to meet a true living legend.” Legend!‘IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE TO MEET MUHAMMAD ALI’ – SAYS DONEGAL MAN was last modified: January 20th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GreencastleMuhammad AliTONY KELLY
1 Elseid Hysaj in action for Napoli Elseid Hysaj has snubbed interest from Arsenal and signed a new Napoli contract.The 22-year-old shone for Albania at Euro 2016 and was linked with a move to the Emirates in the summer as a result.However, Napoli were able to keep hold of the right-back after persuading him that his future would be bright in Italy.And now Hysaj has now agreed to further commit himself to the Serie A club by signing a new contract.“We’ve already signed everything and the contract has been deposited,” his agent, Mario Giuffredi, confirmed on Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli.“[President Aurelio] De Laurentiis will decide when to Tweet it. The extension includes an option until 2022.”