A strong 2nd period powered Parma to a 6-1 victory over Westlake in the opening game of the Nordonia Invitational Tournament.Parma’s Matt Higginbotham led the Redman with 4 goals. Freshman Sam Keiger scored his first high school goal.Max Novak had 28 saves in the loss for the Demons.The tournament will continue throughout the weekend. Related TopicsParma HockeyWestlake Vince McKee
Toby Chapman led start to finish in Saturday’s Battle at Belleville IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car event at the Belleville High Banks. (Photo by Action Racing Photography)BELLEVILLE, Kan. (July 3) – Toby Chapman used the pole starting position to his advantage as he led every lap of the Battle at Belleville Saturday at the Belleville High Banks.The $1,000 checkers came on opening night of the Summer Sizzler Tour and were the United Rebel Sprint Series career first for Chapman. The IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car event was co-sanctioned by the Sprint Series of Nebraska.Chapman jumped out to the early lead over Blain Peterson. Tenth starting Jason Martin made a bold move on an early restart to take over second and began waging a race-long battle with Chapman.Darren Berry was pressuring Martin by lap nine. Hard-charging Ty Williams rocketed through the field and was up to fourth before contact with another car sent him pitside and brought out the final caution on lap 13.Chapman held off Martin the rest of the way. Jed Werner was third, ‘B’ feature winner Steven Richardson fourth and 18th starting Matt Richards fifth.The Rebels next head to Thomas County Speedway in Colby, Kan., on Friday, July 7, then to Lincoln County Raceway in North Platte, Neb., on Saturday, July 8 and then complete Summer Sizzler Week at Lexington, Neb., Raceway on Sunday, July 9.Feature results – 1. Toby Chapman ; 2. Jason Martin; 3. Jed Werner; 4. Steven Richardson ; 5. Matt Richards ; 6. Jason Danley ; 7. Stuart Snyder; 8. Chase Weiler ; 9. Adam Gullion ; 10. Zach Blurton; 11. Terry Richards; 12. J.D. Johnson ; 13. Ty Williams ; 14. Nathan Weiler ; 15. Tim Fricke; 16. John Webster; 17. Blain Petersen ; 18. Tim Hilfiker ; 19. Darren Berry; 20. Tyler Drueke.
16 May 2008The South African government is to embark on a drive within the next few weeks to ensure that companies listed on the JSE comply fully with employment equity legislation, with the offenders being taken to the Labour Court.Section 43 of the Employment Equity Act empowers the Director-General to assess compliance of an employer against the requirements of the legislation.“We will be conducting follow-ups with these companies in July and August to determine if they have complied with all the recommendations,” Labour Minister Membathisi Mdladlana told journalists in Cape Town this week.Mdladlana’s comments came against the backdrop of the department having reviewed six large employers in 2006 in terms of the review process. These firms were Kumba Resources, which is now called Exxaro, Comair, Omnia Group, Verimak, Medi-Clinic and Prism Holding.He pointed out that a further 60 listed companies would now be reviewed over the course of the 2008/09 financial year.Turning to skills development, he said more than 75 000 learners had benefited from the departmental skills programmes in the 2006/7 financial year, while a total of 54 900 learners were placed in different social development programmes over the same period.The department has also engaged in critical youth employment creation programmes through the Umsobomvu Youth Fund.Last year, the department took Comair Limited to court for breaching provisions of the Employment Equity Act.The department’s Director-General Vanguard Mkosana filed the application with the Johannesburg Labour Court after several warnings against the airline company.According to the application at that time, Comair has been found to be in breach of the following provisions of the Employment Equity Act under various sections.At that time, Comair was ordered to pay a fine of R900 000 as prescribed by schedule 1 of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and to pay the costs of the application.Source: BuaNews
21 September 2012 South African youth were honoured for their determination and efforts in improving the lives of those less fortunate at the President’s Award for Youth Empowerment ceremony at the Sefako Makgatho Presidential Guest House in Pretoria on Thursday. The award aims to motivate young people to become involved in a balanced programme of voluntary self-development activities and was first introduced in the United Kingdom in 1956 as The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. Today, through the network of The International Award Association, it is operated in more than 120 countries – with 21 in Africa. In South Africa, the programme started out as the Gold Shield Award in 1983 and was re-launched as The President’s Award for Youth Empowerment in 1994. It has four sections designed to provide a balanced programme of personal development – service, skills, physical recreation and adventurous journey. In August 2010, at the beginning of the United National’s International Year of Youth, President Jacob Zuma accepted the role of Patron-in-Chief from President Nelson Mandela, who is the Founding Patron-in-Chief of the organisation. Last year, during the Presidential Budget Vote Speech in Parliament, President Zuma called for companies and funding entities to support the valuable work that the Award was doing for young people in South Africa. ‘Nurturing South Africa’s youth’ In congratulating the 60 Gold Award recipients from Gauteng, Limpopo and Kwazulu- Natal, Bapela said: “I challenge you to keep living the award in all you do. Continue working with the less privileged in the way that you have. “Continue learning new skills and challenging yourselves in various ways as you move into the future. Our country needs young people like you to make it happen.” Bapela also announced that the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) is currently in the process of signing its first Service Level Agreement with the organisers of the President’s award programme, to further support the organisation’s work. “Through this partnership, we hope to create greater access to the award programme, enabling more young people to develop themselves through this exciting international initiative,” he said. “It is not easy, but we need to work hard to develop the positive energy of young people in this country; there is a lot of it and we need to harness it.” An example of positive energy being developed through the programme was award- winner and learner with a disability from Forest Town School in Johannesburg, Emily Mabasa. “I’m not disabled – because disabled means you cannot do anything, I can do anything as long as I’m determined,” she said. “If it was not for this award, I would have not discovered my passion for helping others. Through these awards, I realise that I have knowledge that I can share with others.” Source: SANews.gov.za
Antonio Conte continued his rant against Inter’s transfer strategy after defeat in Dortmund. “Apart from Diego Godin, these players haven’t won anything and lack experience.” The Nerazzurri were leading 2-0 at half-time only to fall 3-2 in the Champions League trip to Borussia Dortmund. “We have too limited a squad to face both Serie A and Champions League football this season. I mean limited both in terms of numbers and quality,” Conte told Sport Mediaset. “Some players have to be on the field constantly and in the long run, you do pay for that. I am furious, because this cancels out all the good work.” He continued to insist the January transfer window is already too late to make changes. “I am not asking the club for anything, these are the players and we go into battle with these players. The club will make its evaluations, I am just saying all of us got it badly wrong when planning for this season. “We are in an emergency situation with only three players injured, whereas other teams have injuries and don’t even notice. We notice. “We are talking about a group of players who, apart from Godin, haven’t won anything. It’s difficult then to deal with a tough situation. “Who do I call on? Nicolò Barella, who we signed from Cagliari? Or Stefano Sensi, who arrived from Sassuolo? I will always thank the players for giving their heart and soul, and I know that I am asking for the kind of strain that some find it difficult to deal with. “We can’t let our current position in the table disguise the problems that are there.” The issues are due to get worse, because Matteo Politano left the stadium with crutches and only wearing one shoe, as he played the final 15 minutes with a sprained ankle, as all the substitutions had been completed. Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/
Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott had surgery on his left wrist Friday morning, and, according to his father, everything went well. It does appear, however, that Elliott, for the second time in less than a year, needed to have a pin inserted into his wrist. How do we know? Elliott’s father, Stacy, posted a photo of the x-ray taken after the surgery. My Sun has some new hardware! And no I didn’t abandon him! Was on a medication run! @EzekielElliott pic.twitter.com/W7VuNTyWiZ— Ambassador Elliott (@stacy_elliott) February 20, 2015Elliott had surgery last August on the same wrist, and had a pin inserted back then as well. Hopefully the second time is the charm.
YouTube/TheTennesseeShowAs a part of a panel at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta today, ESPN’s Lee Corso has been revealing some interesting details about his role on College GameDay. Earlier, we shared Corso’s reason for picking against Auburn: the school won’t let him wear Aubie’s head for his pick. Corso is also now barred from wearing gear from his alma mater, Florida State, for a very different reason. You can blame Bill Murray for the fact that Corso will no longer dress as Chief Osceola. Lee Corso says he hasn’t been allowed to put on Seminoles mascot gear on Gameday since Bill Murray stole spear and threw it at Clemson game.— Heath Cline (@heathradio) August 3, 2015Here is video from that GameDay, which also featured the former Saturday Night Live star tackling the then-77 year old Corso.This ban has to be tough for Corso, a class of 1957 Florida State alumnus.[Extra Mustard]
The Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics meet again tonight, and this time, it counts.Six days after the Celtics beat the Cavs at the Schottenstein Center in the final preseason game, the teams kick off the NBA regular season at Quicken Loans Arena.The Cavs enter the ’09-’10 campaign trying to maintain focus on the court, despite several mounting issues off of it.New sheriff in townThe Cavs finished last season with the league’s best regular season record, at 66-16. Focus and determination paced the team through the schedule without many distractions or letdowns.With its vast array of team handshakes and pre-game routines, Cleveland demonstrated a close bond that top-tier teams strive for.After sweeping through the first two postseason series unscathed, Cleveland couldn’t contend with Orlando’s hot outside shooting as the Magic dispensed of the Cavs in six games.Orlando exposed weaknesses on the Cavs’ interior, as center Dwight Howard averaged 25.8 points and 13.0 rebounds per game, including 40 points and 14 boards in the series-clinching, game six victory.To counter Orlando’s post supremacy, the Cavs dealt for 15-time All-Star center Shaquille O’Neal. To defy criticism that he had little fuel left in his tank, O’Neal averaged 17.8 points and 8.4 rebounds last season with Phoenix.The King’s cloudy futureThe media have beaten to death the uncertainty regarding league MVP LeBron James’ future in Cleveland.James is scheduled to become a free agent once his contract ends after this season, and he has maintained a firm stance on not exploring his options until the season ends.The bright lights and infinite endorsement opportunities of the Big Apple could entice him to sign with the New York Knicks or New Jersey Nets.But the easiest solution to the dilemma could occur if the Cavs can win a championship.James has reiterated his aim to follow in the footsteps of Hall of Fame inductee Michael Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles.His talent level in New York or New Jersey wouldn’t immediately match the championship-caliber squad he currently leads in Cleveland.Regardless, James’ refusal to commit one way or the other keeps the issue relevant, potentially causing a distraction as the Cavs target a trip to the NBA Finals.Chemistry 101For the Cavs to replicate the camaraderie they displayed on the court last season, they must quickly surmount several obstacles.Delonte West, who started at shooting guard and played more minutes than any other Cavalier during the postseason, didn’t record any playing time during the preseason.West was arrested in September after being pulled over for speeding while carrying a pair of loaded handguns and a loaded shotgun in Maryland. The sixth-year guard has battled depression, and the team remains unsure of when he might return.Veteran Anthony Parker has assumed West’s starting spot.With two new starters, it could take time to reacquire the chemistry the team fed off of last season.Tuesday’s season opener against the championship contending Celtics could prove to be a measuring stick gauging how close the Cavs are to matching or exceeding last season’s success.After a 4-4 mark in the preseason, James contended that the Cavs will amp up their play up now that the wins and losses hold meaning.“The preseason is so long and dreadful,” James said. “I’m just ready to get the season started now.”As the Celtics and Cavaliers prepare to initiate a new season of basketball, O’Neal expressed his excitement as the two Eastern Conference titans clash.“I’ve been here 17 years and I’ve been in a lot of rivalries and will continue to be in rivalries and it only makes for good basketball,” he said. “[It’s] going to be a hell of a game.”
Ohio State All-American long jumper Michael Hartfield was named Big Ten Field Athlete of the Year and Big Ten Athlete of the Outdoor Championships on Wednesday. Hartfield, a junior, won the Big Ten Championship in the long jump Saturday, making him both the indoor and outdoor champion. “Definitely at a loss for words,” Hartfield said. “It’s a great accomplishment and I know I wouldn’t have gotten to this point without my family, friends and coaching staff. I’m definitely feeling more appreciative than anything else right now. This is crazy to me.” Hartfield also participates in the triple jump, and took second place in the Big Ten at the indoor and outdoor championships. Fellow junior long jumper Steve MacDonald was happy for his teammate. “I’m just really proud of Mike,” said MacDonald, who was named a second-team All-Big Ten performer on Wednesday. “His hard work has really paid off and he has become a leader on our team in one year. We are looking forward to finishing this year strong by meeting goals we set and then working hard over the summer going into next year, where we plan to continue improving.” Hartfield, who set a personal record with a jump of 7.95 meters, next will compete at the NCAA East Regional Preliminaries in Bloomington, Ind., from May 26 through May 28.
Members of the OSU men’s soccer team celebrate during a 4-1 win against Rutgers on Oct. 25 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.Credit: Taylor Cameron / Lantern photographerThe Ohio State men’s soccer team played with as if under fire in the second half Wednesday with one thing in mind: win and come home for its quarterfinal matchup in the Big Ten Tournament.And, thanks to a late goal by sophomore forward Christian Soldat, that is exactly where it will be playing Sunday — against a familiar foe.OSU (8-6-4, 5-3-0) defeated Michigan (6-8-3, 3-3-2), 2-1, in Ann Arbor, Mich., to conclude its regular season.Soldat — the top substitution off OSU coach John Bluem’s bench — deflected a shot off of a Michigan defender with just over five minutes remaining. Michigan redshirt-senior goalkeeper Adam Grinwis was crossed up by the deflection, and the shot trickled under his leg for Soldat’s third goal of the season.Though the deciding goal for the Buckeyes did not come until late, they wasted no time in getting the scoring started.For the second time this season, sophomore Danny Jensen scored within the opening minute of the match. The forward streaked down the field and took a feed from senior midfielder Max Moller, putting it in the back of the net just 26 seconds in for his fourth goal of the season.However, OSU was unable to hold onto that lead, as Michigan capitalized off a corner following a penalty kick saved by OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov. Senior defender Ben Manko scored the goal off the corner with a header. Manko’s first of the season tied the game at 1-1 in the 31st minute, a score that held at the half.Ivanov did a lot to keep his team in the game in the first half. The reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week saved five shots in the opening half.The Wolverines outshot OSU, 8-5, overall for the first half, with six of those coming on target.The second half quickly turned that trend around, with OSU furiously searching for the deciding goal.For the latter half, the Buckeyes outshot Michigan, 11-4, but were unfruitful in their pursuit for the game winner until Soldat’s score.It was a physical game between the rivals, as OSU committed 12 fouls in the game, while Michigan was whistled for eight. Jensen and junior defender Liam Doyle were also hit with yellow cards in the second half, as was Michigan freshman defender Billy Stevens.With about two minutes left, Ivanov made a save on a header going toward the top of the net to seal the victory. For the game, Ivanov, the Big Ten leader in saves, stopped six shots.OSU’s dreams of winning a share of the Big Ten regular season title came to a close early in the second half, when Maryland’s 3-2 win at Rutgers went final. The Terrapins finished with 16 points to finish alone atop the conference.However, OSU’s win was enough to push it one spot below Maryland as the second seed in the conference tournament.The Buckeyes finished the season in a tie with Penn State and Northwestern at 15 points apiece, but receive the tiebreaker because they hold the top intra-conference goal differential of the three at +6.As a result, the Buckeyes are set for a rematch with seventh-seeded Michigan. That game is scheduled for Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, with a 1 p.m. kickoff.Clarification: Kickoff between OSU and Michigan on Sunday was originally listed as 2 p.m., but later changed to 1 p.m.